Blessings ~

Practice gratitude, gratitude, gratitude, gratitude, gratitude, gratitude, gratitude, gratitude, gratitude, gratitude, gratitude, gratitude, gratitude, gratitude, gratitude, gratitude ~

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

I See the Moon & the Moon Sees Me ~

When I was young, those words were part of a little song we would sing:

I see the moon and the moon sees me
The moon sees somebody I want to see
So God bless the moon
And God bless me
And God bless the somebody I want to see


Last night, following the CNN Tea Party debate for the Republican candidates I went out and sat in the moonlight, seeking some sort of solace.  It finally came with those words and a new appreciation of the theology present in that little ditty from my childhood.  While the God of my childhood is not the God of my theology today, the God of my religious humanism fits just as well.  As I sat there seeking some sort of cleansing from the telling of falsehoods, the cheer from the audience affirming that society should let those without healthcare die, the unkindness shared between human beings present and absent, the othering of entire communities and my own less-than-best-self feelings about the people on the stage and in the audience ..... the words of the ditty came to me and I smiled.  I smiled and hid.  I hid there in my mind's eye.  In a warm bedroom with large windows, amidst tall trees and clean air, surrounded by a loving family and the many assets life delivers a white child of white collar workers in a Boston suburb.  And found my salve.  My faith delivered that salve just as surely as it invited me back out to the present.  No longer 4, but 54, still privileged & still living in a warm bedroom with large windows, amidst tall trees and clean air.  Still surrounded by a loving family and the many assets life delivers a white professional woman living in surburbian Massachusetts and still singing "I see the moon...."   But the same faith that called 'come and let the light of the moon carress you and soothe you" calls me to hear the words to this little song with all the truth creation holds.  To see our moon is to recognize we are all children of creation and to accept that by sheer accident of birth many of our siblings are viewing it in settings far from the warm bedroom of my childhood and far from the warm bedroom of my present and far from the warm bedroom of my future, if able to view it at all.  "The moon sees somebody I want to see..."  My faith calls me to see those children and those youth and those adults.  "God bless the somebody I want to see..." My religious humanism calls me to action. 
And so, in the light of the moon, carressing my soul, my faith tells me it's okay to be soothed but don't you dare stop there, child.  Don't you dare stop there ~

No comments:

Post a Comment