Blessings ~

Practice gratitude, gratitude, gratitude, gratitude, gratitude, gratitude, gratitude, gratitude, gratitude, gratitude, gratitude, gratitude, gratitude, gratitude, gratitude, gratitude ~

Saturday, January 14, 2012

A Nice Story ~ Just Because ...

It was a day or so after Christmas and we were in a craft store-that-will-not-be-named (in case this story is one that would get an employee in trouble.)  We were picking up some items and I said 'I should take along some art supplies on sabbatical.  It would be good for me to spend some more time drawing. I began to collect the bare necessities.... charcoal, kneaded eraser, etc.  Having spent a lot on the trip I was trying to be frugal. I mulled over the soft lead pencils and decided on two.  I opted out of the larger variety pack of charcoal and decided more of the most common type I used was best. It was then she, always with an eye toward treating me, discovered the special sketching collection.  It contained everything I needed and things that had caught my eye but not made the 'frugal' cut.  She said 'look, it's on sale.  Please let me buy it for you.'  Noticing the bargain price and smile in her eyes, I agreed.
When our turn came at the checkout counter, it rang up at nearly twice the expected price.  It turned out that it had not been on sale at all.  The difference was substantial and not within either of our planned budgets following the holidays, amidst much travel and facing large school costs in Mexico. 
 Me: you know, I am really so fine with the basics.  She: But, it had that cool brown charcoal too.  You liked it.  Me: You are so sweet and that's true, but truly I don't have to have that now. I'm going to zip back and switch this right now.  She: I know you can do without but you know what?  I'd really like to see you have this for the trip.  Please let me get it for you.  Me:  Okay, and thank you so much. (*important to note that no other customers were in line behind us!).
At this point, the cashier continued ringing up the order, but then did something more.  Something quite special.  Our new total reflected what it would have been had it been on sale.  She smiled, telling us she used a special coupon that had been given to employees for a single use.  She wanted to use it for us. We all smiled.  My heart still smiles today.  And today, I will draw and think about love, kindness, graciousness and how the world is full of people who on most days are wonderful and on some days are extraordinary in very simple ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment