Blessings ~

Practice gratitude, gratitude, gratitude, gratitude, gratitude, gratitude, gratitude, gratitude, gratitude, gratitude, gratitude, gratitude, gratitude, gratitude, gratitude, gratitude ~

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Whisper from a Hummingbird (aka Another Reason to Join a UU Congregation!)

Today a hummingbird whispered in my ear and in that instant, my soul was renewed. I am ever grateful for this brave little bird. She whizzed by my ear and then flit from feeder to feeder, dancing on air, in front of me, in between each sip of the sugary nectar.
Most of the pictures I captured were out of focus because her wings moved so fast! But then she rested at just the right time and this picture was born, providing me a glimpse of her beautiful, powerful wings.  How could the hummer have known this was just what I needed today? 
             
       I'd just love to think that this magical little creature gazed down from her perch in the cherry tree, at me and thought "Hmm- Wendy looks a bit sad today, I think I'll buzz by. I know! I'll flutter by her ear and whisper 'look at life.'"  Now, I know that is anthropomorphic and, of course, all about me! Yet, the thought was just the boost I needed to keep me rooted in the life side of the creation equation.
      In times when sadness, loss and tragedy seem too present,  it is good to remember to 'look at life' rather than focus on death.  In a month where I’ve bid goodbye to several fabulous souls, one who left this earth far too young, it may seem presumptuous to make such a statement.  But choosing to 'look at life' is a perspective of choice that does not deny death, rather it focuses on each day of living. Even when we are in relationship with people nearing the end of their living.  Even when we are that person.
      When I was a young person, death and dying were things done at the hospital and rarely discussed.  Even serious illness seemed at best vaguely referenced.  Today, with the increased usage of hospice, advances in palliative care and an attitudinal shift towards end of life 'living' we are more able to live all of our days in the company of friends and family.  It is such a gift that our last days of living can be less about mechanical devices and more about our human interactions with people.  It is also a gift to be able to be part of a community of care in which we can help one another learn to be with sadness AND embrace living at the same time.   The focus on living is akin to the glass half empty/half full analogy.  Death and loss are never easy, but we get to choose how we arrive in their presence.   I'm of the belief that if we root ourselves firmly in living, even while in the presence of dying we serve each other and ourselves well.
        Reflecting back on recent weeks leading up to the recent losses in my community & the many difficult diagnoses among us, I am inspired by how well our community lives this philosophy.  I may have imagined the humming bird's whisper but the message from our community is loud and clear. Here, we live.  We live with one another.  Even when it gets difficult.  Even when it includes pain and loss. And so, we will live this day.
        File this under – 'Another reason to join a Unitarian Universalist congregation!'
               


No comments:

Post a Comment