Blessings ~

Practice gratitude, gratitude, gratitude, gratitude, gratitude, gratitude, gratitude, gratitude, gratitude, gratitude, gratitude, gratitude, gratitude, gratitude, gratitude, gratitude ~

Friday, October 11, 2013

If We Mean What We Say ~ UU Principle #1

If We Mean What We Say ~ (An excerpt from a sermon series exploring the 7 principles of Unitarian Universalism http://www.uua.org/beliefs/principles/ )

If We Mean What We Say ~
(An excerpt from a sermon series exploring the 7 principles of Unitarian Universalism http://www.uua.org/beliefs/principles/. Image by fabulous UU Tim Atkins!)
“Inherent worth and dignity of every person.”  We tend to always read this principle as being about how we view and treat other people. We use it to fuel our efforts to impact change for ‘other’ communities. It is the subtext of all of our justice work.  Using that principle as an anchor we have made great strides in making more of our spaces accessible. We have journeyed further in understanding how racism is embedded in our system, benefitting some and harming others. We have learned to value multi-generational community, and in particular, our youth. This principle is at the heart of our efforts around securing equal rights for people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer & questioning. All of these are good, honorable. Important.
But there is a more powerful way we are called to let this principle change us and through us, our world.  It requires enormous intentionality. It requires that we first apply the principle to ourselves.  That we embody the respect in a manner that alters us.  That we look in the mirror and say “There I am. Flawed. Beautiful. Worthy.”
“ There I am. Flawed. Beautiful. Worthy.  There I am. Flawed. Beautiful. Worthy. I will make mistakes today. I will blunder. I will take responsibility for my mistakes. There I am, flawed, beautiful, worthy. I will do good deeds today. I will show up. I will try to add goodness and beauty to our  world.  There I am. Flawed. Beautiful. Worthy. I will say the right thing today. I will say the wrong thing today. Either way, I will speak up.  There I am. Flawed. Beautiful. Worthy. This day is a gift and out into the world I go. Flawed. Beautiful. Worthy.”
And if we can do that…. Here’s step 2.  Before you leave that mirror say “I will encounter others. They are flawed. They are beautiful, they are worthy. They will make mistakes today. They will blunder. They may or may not take responsibility for their mistakes.  There they are.  Flawed. Beautiful. Worthy. Some will do good deeds today.  They will show up.  Some will try to add goodness and beauty to our  world.  There they are. Flawed. Beautiful. Worthy. Some will say the right thing today.  Some will say the wrong thing today. There they are. Flawed. Beautiful. Worthy.  Mine
This day is a gift to all of us and out into the world we go. Flawed. Beautiful. Worthy. All.
And then ….. at THAT moment, you know THAT moment, when someone has just said the absolute WRONG thing and you knew it was coming, because you know them so well OR someone has disappointed you in a large way OR someone just slammed into your car in the parking lot ------ instead of reaching for time-worn habits that involve harsh words or gestures, reach instead for three words: Flawed. Beautiful.  Worthy.  And if you can, stretch for the fourth ~ Mine.
       If…..if we mean what we say, we need look no further than the mirror each day.


No comments:

Post a Comment